Quarterly Meeting Minutes
February 13, 2013
Robin Costley, Lisa Cauldwell, Stephanie Thornberry, Lynne Arrowsmith, Kellie Knight, Danette Short, Diana Bowman, Caitlin Neel, Marcella Flores and Margaret Brewser
Call-ins: Sara Underwood, Sharon Crowder and Jennifer Reed
- Welcome and introductions went around the room:
- Those present introduced themselves to the group
- Robin reports Dr. Mary McAteer, Karen Rance and Jolene Bracale from DOE have shown interest in becoming members.
DISCUSSION: AAI Focus 2013:
- Statewide AAP: The meeting began with Danette Short reporting that the Asthma Team based on (ATBC) task force has chosen to focus on a state-wide action plan.
- With all the action plans that circulate. It would be great for schools to have one universal plan. The care for the kids would be a better resolution if there was just one.
- The plan is to look at the current action plans and what is liked about it, and all that have gone statewide.
- Karen Rance will be helping to get one action plan in place and will sit on this workgroup to help make this happen.
- The verbiage is being looked at and the goal is to make this plan an easier read for all. Possible 3rd to a 5th grade reading level.
- The goal is to get this into the school system.
- If interested in being a part of this group please let Danette Short or Robin Costley know.
- The next meeting will take place March 5th at 8:30 A.M. Call in capabilities. St. Vincent will sponsor the meeting. Input and support would be appreciated.
- A series of the plans will be mailed out, looking for comments to better this plan.
- The plan is to allow physicians to look at the final plan, if you know physicians that would be interested please let Robin or Danette know.
- Robin has students that are working at the schools and she has discussed this with the nurses at schools and they are interested in this becoming a new plan.
- There were a lot of questions regarding the plan and how it could be easier to use.
- EMR’s were brought up and Danette stated this is a legal issue and will be addressing all of the questions and reporting back in the March 5, 2013 meeting.
- Contact information for Robin & Danette were given
- Assist with Injac/ISDH for Conference on May 14th:
- Robin Costley has spoken to Angie Dickerson, and added a parent presentation to the agenda on how to be that parent. Jessica DeCook who is on the Alliance, who wrote an article for AAFA has agreed to speak at conference.
- Robin is looking for suggestions.
- The conference will be held at the Ritz Charles in Carmel, and the Theme is “Turn Left Breathe Right, The Race to End” The Burdon of Asthma.
- Registration information is being accepted along with Speaker, Exhibitor and sponsorship applications on line at http://www.injac.org/.
- Injac is looking for help with exhibitors and need volunteers to help, if you are interested contact Robin.
- Save the date forms will be given to Robin to hand out to the Alliance.
- It was suggested that we try to get Karen Rance to speak. Danette will contact her.
- Danette has suggested if the theme is the Indy car race, perhaps we could use the soap box car as the theme and have some competitions between participating schools.
- Presentation: Lynne Arrowsmith, how to help your clients/patients quit smoking:
- A PowerPoint was presented along with handouts that were passed.
- Hand-outs were given and are attached
- Around the Room:
- Robin thanked the Alpha Kappa-Alpha sorority for the Alpha Mu Omega Chapter for their cash donation/silver sponsorship. This helped with supplies that were needed when Asthma had no extra money.
- Robin also thanked Jennifer Reed, which is a client who made a monetary donation and has volunteered her time to help with projects for Robin. Jennifer loves putting stickers on educational materials & putting folders together.
- School Health Coach Project with IPS is working closely with Robin on the Asthma piece. Interns will be shadowing on home visits to give them a look at the home situations.
Adjourn 10:00 am
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 MCPHD
3rd fl. conference room 8:30-10:00 am
Conference Call Information:
- Dial 1-877-820-7831
- Passcode 448684#